Even Under Obama, The United States Just Doesn’t Get itMay 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Posted in American politics | Leave a comment
The United States is now relying heavily on foreign intelligence services to capture, interrogate and detain all but the highest-level terrorist suspects seized outside the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan, according to current and former American government officials.
There are many problems with this.
1. The United States still thinks it must rely on illegal techniques to interrogate prisoners.
2. The United States doesn’t trust previously reliable techniques that are legal.
3. The cultural gap between the United States and Islamic cultures is painfully evident. The United States is basically admitting it has no clue about our Islamic enemies.
4. The United States is saying it trusts what other countries tell them from the torture they employ on detainees rendered to them by the Americans.
5. The United States thinks other countries, (even closest allies, like Israel), would tell the United States what is most beneficial for the United States instead of what is in the best interest of said country. For example, if a detainee in Israel’s hands told Israeli interrogators that there was no connection between Al-Qaeda and Iran, Israel would not necessarily pass that on to the Americans, because it is not in Israel’s best interest that the United States know that Iran is not close to Al-Qaeda. For Israel, the more antagonistic the United States is toward Iran, the better off they think they are.
6. The United States has not learned from previous failed incidents, such as Al-Libi, tortured by the Egyptians, telling his interrogators what he thought they wanted to hear. He said to the Egyptian torturers that Saddam and Bin Laden had close connections, which of course was not true. But that one incident led to the United States going into Iraq less than two years later, which was totally unnecessary.
7. The United States thinks other countries that have taken the gloves off get actual actionable accurate intelligence from the people they torture, else why would the United States render to these torturing countries?
8. The United States still thinks the use of torture does NOT radicalize the people they torture, thus turning the detainees into a self-fulfilling prophecy. They become the radicalized terrorists we fear. The countries we render to, Syria and Egypt, have some of the most radicalized populations in the world. Why would they? Could it possibly be because the dictatorship states there treat their people so harshly? Why would we ever trust those states to give us accurate intelligence?
Why does the United States not get this? It’s not that hard to understand. Com’on Mr. Obama. You’re smarter than this. Don’t listen to the generals. Fire them all. Even Petraeus. They don’t get it, Mr. Obama. They just don’t get it, and they will be the cause of many many more Americans dead by their willful ignorance.